Written by Charles “Ebbie” Alfree III, Director of Advancement
The past two years I have written articles about apps that can help make life easier for seniors. I’m continuing this tradition with a 3rd article on the subject. Multiple apps are available to assist with daily living and beyond. Current apps are continuously enhanced, while new ones are being developed.
As in my previous articles, I have picked some apps that could be of assistance to seniors in a variety of ways:
- Bleacher Report – For sports fans that want instant news on their favorite teams, this app lets you pick the teams you love and then provides you news, scores, stories, videos, and pictures in your personalized news stream.
- Find My iPhone – Always know where your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac are located with the Find My iPhone app. After you install and set up the app, you will be able to use any iOS device to find your lost technology. It will also allow you to remotely lock it, play a sound, display a message, or erase all the data on it.
- Find Your Car with AR – Have you ever forgotten where you parked your car in a garage or lot? This app will ensure that will never happen again! Find Your Car with AR provides you directions that lead to your parked car. It also shows the street address of your parked vehicle, as well as the date and time you parked it.
- IMDb – If you love movies and television shows, this app is for you. IMDb provides a plethora of information, from breaking entertainment news and movie trailers to movie showtimes and details on your favorite performers, including a full list of their film and television credits.
- Life360 – This app lets you keep tabs on your loved ones. It’s a location-sharing app that includes a private map, so you know and see the whereabouts of your family and friends. The app also sends alerts when loved ones arrive or leave home, work, and school.
- MediSafe Medication Management – Don’t worry about forgetting to take your pills; this app is here to help! Once the app is downloaded and you have entered your information in it, MediSafe will remind you to take your pills and medications at the appropriate times. The app also keeps track of your measurements (weight, blood pressure, etc.) and provides you a progress report that can be sent to your doctor.
- Pandora – Listen to your favorite music and podcasts anytime! The app allows you to create stations based on your favorite artists, songs and genres. Pandora also recommends stations. In addition, the app has over 1,400 podcasts. Find your favorites or listen to a new one that Pandora recommends.
- Senior Discounts & Coupons – Don’t pay full price anymore; use this app to find discounts and coupons for your favorite stores and products. In addition to finding great savings at a variety of stores, the app also provides offers for movie theaters, restaurants, and more. The app lets you check by categories and also filter the opportunities by age.
Most of these apps can be used on Androids, iPhones, iPads, and tablets, and are free to download through the App Store or Google Play. Most also have upgradeable options for a fee. Take some time and review these and other apps to help make your life easier to manage!
Printed in the Daily Local News on Wednesday, July 31, 2019.