Major Historical Milestones in Senior Housing
October 10, 1890
Lydia H. Hall brings concern for the care of older adults to Concord Quarterly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Committee of women appointed to carry the idea forward.
November 8, 1890
Committee meets for the first time.
The name ‘Friends Boarding Home of Concord Quarter’ is selected. Lydia C. Biddle is appointed Board Chairwoman.
April 1, 1891
Temporary accommodations secured at 445 North Walnut Street, first boarder, Mary M. Taylor moves in.
January 21, 1892
Charter granted by Chester County Court of Common Pleas. Lydia H. Hall elected Board of Managers President.
West Chester Meeting provides a lot at 444 Walnut Street for construction of a building. Board raises $8,000 for construction and hires Alfred D. Sharpless as architect and builder.
March 28, 1893
New building “Old Main” opened. It is quickly filled and West Chester Meeting provides a lot on Walnut Street, adjacent to the first, for construction of a second building.
Philadelphia philanthropist, Anna T. Jeanes, donates $200,000 to set up eight Quarterly Meeting homes for elderly Quakers. The Friends Boarding Home of Concord Quarter is the recipient of some of these funds.
March 29, 1898
Second building completed and opened. It becomes known as “The Annex”.
Upon the death of Nathaniel G. Hickman, West Chester Meeting receives a bequest for construction of an addition to the Home.
In spite of financial losses due to the depression, the Board begins construction of “The Hickman” in 1935. The building was completed and opened in 1936.
Annex renamed the Lydia Hall building to honor her memory.
June 1, 1980
The Hickman receives Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Personal Care certification.
The Board modifies the staff structure replacing the Matron/Superintendent with a professional administrator.
Hickman Board appoints an Expansion Task Force to assess and study viable options for expanding The Hickman to serve more people and add additional resident programs.
The Hickman signs an agreement of sale with the County of Chester for the Hazlett property on Biddle and Walnut Streets.
The Hickman makes settlement for the Hazlett property. Construction for the “Mary Taylor House” named after the Hickman’s first resident set to begin early 2010 with opening planned for early 2011. In keeping with The Hickman’s mission and tradition, the 60-unit independent apartment building is to serve older adults of low to moderate incomes, a population under served in Chester County. Services will be available to its residents, allowing them to age in place.
Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Mary Taylor House.
The first residents move into the Mary Taylor House with full occupancy achieved by the Grand Opening Ceremony in March, 2011.
December 6, 2016
The Hickman Friends Senior Living Community of West Chester breaks ground on a new building at the corner of Walnut and Marshall streets in West Chester. The new building will increase the number of seniors to be served but will also bring a much-needed non-medical dementia program to Chester County.
March 16, 2018
After ten years of planning, The Hickman community celebrates completion of the new Anna T. Jeanes Building, adding 74 suites to the 40 suites in the The Hickman Building next door. The first floor of the new building is a secure memory care neighborhood with 22 private and shared studio suites and a secure outdoor garden. The second and third floors have 52 personal care one-bedroom and studio suites.