The Hickman Major Historical Milestones
October 10, 1890 – Lydia H. Hall brings concern for the care of older adults to Concord Quarterly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Committee of women appointed to carry the idea forward.
November 8, 1890 – Committee meets for the first time to consider how to move forward.
February, 1891 – The name Friends Boarding Home of Concord Quarter is selected. Lydia C. Biddle is appointed Board Chairwoman.
April 1, 1891 – Temporary accommodations secured at 445 North Walnut Street, first boarder, Mary M. Taylor moves in.
January 21, 1892 – Charter granted by Chester County Court of Common Pleas. Lydia H. Hall elected Board of Managers President.
1892 – West Chester Meeting provides a lot at 444 Walnut Street for construction of a building. Board raises $8,000 for construction and hires Alfred D. Sharpless as architect and builder.
March 28, 1893 – New building “Old Main” opened. It is quickly filled and West Chester Meeting provides a lot on Walnut Street, adjacent to the first, for construction of a second building.
March 29, 1898 – Second building completed and opened. It becomes known as “The Annex”.
1928 – Upon the death of Nathaniel G. Hickman, West Chester Meeting receives a bequest for construction of an addition to the Home.
1935 – 1938 – Two significant events delayed the use of the bequest to enlarge the Home: the will was contested by Mr. Hickman’s nephew and the stock market crash in 1929 followed by the Great Depression.
1935 – In spite of financial losses due to the depression, the Board begins construction of “The Hickman” in 1935. The building was completed and opened in 1936.
1950 – Annex renamed the Lydia Hall building to honor her memory.
June 1, 1980 – The Home receives Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Personal Care certification.
1985 – The Board modifies the staff structure replacing the Matron/Superintendent with a professional administrator.
2001 – Hickman Board appoints an Expansion Task Force to assess and study viable options for expanding The Hickman to serve more people and add additional resident programs.
September 2003 – The Hickman signs an agreement of sale with the County of Chester for the Hazlett property on Biddle and Walnut Streets.
December 2009 – The Hickman makes settlement for the Hazlett property. Construction for the “Mary Taylor House” named after the Hickman’s first resident set to begin early 2010 with opening planned for early 2011. In keeping with The Hickman’s mission and tradition, the 60-unit independent apartment building is to serve older adults of low to moderate incomes, a population under served in Chester County. Services will be available to its residents, allowing them to age in place.
March 2010 – Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Mary Taylor House.
January 2011 – The first residents begin moving into the Mary Taylor House with full occupancy achieved by the Grand Opening Ceremony on March 16th, 2011.